North Dakota has a wide range of temperatures and layering is recommended. Prepare for the coldest. Mouse River Outfitters provides boot dryers. However these items we suggest you bring:
- Camo Outer clothing (preferably water proof)
- Blaze orange vests and hats (recommended for all upland hunting)
- Insulated: Hats, Gloves, Boots
- Long Underwear
- Face Mask
- Hand Warmers
- Field glasses.
- Thermos bottles
- Shooting glasses & hearing protection
- Guns - A 12ga 3” magnum, 12ga 3 1/2” magnum and 10ga are the most popular guns used. Steel BBB shot for geese and steel 2 shot for ducks are the most popular loads for waterfowl. North Dakota allows 2 guns in the field. Most hunters have one loaded with duck shot and one with goose shot, as often, there is no time to reload. North Dakota is a steel shot zone for waterfowl. Steel shotgun shells are available locally for most of the common type loads. When pheasant hunting, bring your favorite lead shot.
- License Costs - North Dakota license cost necessary for waterfowl hunting in zone three is $85. North Dakota license for upland game including pheasants is $85, plus general game stamp of $13 and certificate for $2. Don’t worry about getting them early as we have an 800 number and you can be licensed immediately with a credit card.
If you were born after December 31, 1961, you must have a hunter safety number. The 800 number is 1-800-406-6409. For general information call 701-328-6300. For more information on North Dakota's hunter education requirements call 701-328-6312
Online North Dakota License http://gf.nd.gov/licenses/
Dakota Licensing via Phone 1-800-406-640
Please note pop and alcohol are included.